domingo, 8 de noviembre de 2009

2009 Dodge Challenger SRT8

The embers of my love affair with the 2009 Dodge Challenger SRT8 first started to glow during a media preview last August when I had the opportunity to fling the Brampton, Ont.,- built retro rod around a race track in New Jersey. With its 6.1-litre Hemi V8, a newly available Tremec six-speed manual transmission borrowed from the Viper, a race bred suspension and uber-effective Brembo brakes, this car truly stirred my emotions.

     The relationship warmed up further when I was assigned to evaluate its category during last fall's AJAC TestFest. Again, being able to experience the menacing growl of that big Hemi, feel the rush of power when it was unleashed, even driving it tamely on public roads all combined to reinforce my passion.

     So naturally, there was much anticipation when I picked up an intimidating black SRT8 for a week-long road test. As we sometimes discover in relationships based on passion, however, things can quickly grow cold.

     The attributes I enjoyed so much during our previous encounters turned into trouble this time. Actually, our reunion started off innocently enough, picking up the gorgeous SRT8 - buffed and polished - at Chrysler's Mississauga office. However, making the two-hour run home later that day turned into a nightmare. The road surface, which had initially been dry, changed to wet and then snow covered. While its sticky, fat, 20-inch performance tires shine on dry roads and can cope adequately enough with a soggy surface, the SRT8 can't handle the white stuff.

     Although there were 425 horses eagerly waiting to be unleashed, I had to rein them in to a crawl in order to stay on the road. True, this car comes with the latest electronic gadgetry, including stability control, but it's all useless if the tires can't grip the road.

     After driving like I had eggs under the go pedal and trying to respond with the softest of touches to twitches in the car's direction, I did manage to nurse the beast home - well, almost home. There's a very slight grade in the approach to my street. In fact, it has only really grabbed my attention previously when trying to plod those final few metres after a brisk walk.

     This night, however, the SRT8, with all its power, couldn't make the snow-dusted grade. I initially made my approach with all support systems engaged as I didn't expect there would be a problem. He slowed for the intersection, then make the turn on to my street nanny kicked in and all engine in its attempt to avoid.

     I backed down the street, manual mode and tried again with a lot of wheelspin, according such a howl from the Hemi, I wake every neighbour within and there was little progress.

     Finally, I reversed all the main road, which was wet and used an alternate route to get home.

     The return run to Mississauga later also included encounter and proved equally challenging. During the intervening day there were times when the roads were true character of the SRT8 with awesome acceleration, stunning and impressive braking, all are the wonderful sounds at the slightest urging.

     Despite my initial passion for time spent with it revealed a while I had noticed previously issues resulting from its low greenhouse, the severity of to peer past the blind spots become more apparent.
Vancouver B.C. Car Info
vancouvercarinfo.com/

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario